Comments: More holiday planning questions

You are an insane plannerly planner person. Librarian with a capital L. <3 I think you are being way practical. Some people dive in, some people need it typed, double spaced, in a binder specifics down to every little detail. Just comprimise it ;) heh.

Posted by aisling at July 16, 2007 11:31 PM

That sounds reasonable, the policy of only buying yarn for the new gift when one is finished. Then you won't be overwhelmed with the pressure of all that yarn staring at you. No, it's not too early to think about it. It's only 5.5 months away. Factor in how much knitting time you'll have, plus how long the projects may take, and I'd say you're smartly on target. As for the other questions, I have no idea. But I like the bookmark pattern, it's pretty.

Posted by Jeanne B. at July 17, 2007 02:38 AM

I found a great mitten pattern on the 'net. All you do is change needle sizes for the different ages, from infant to large adult. Check out knitting-crochet.com/2nee.html.

And you're not crazy for starting now on your holiday knitting - you're very, very smart! The only thing I'd worry about with giving scarves is that they'll expect them every year. There's nothing wrong with that, if you don't mind! =)

Posted by carrie at July 17, 2007 07:30 AM

I don't really have any advice this time except for #6: You're not insane. I think it's good to start planning early so that you'll have less stress later.

Posted by Cynthia at July 17, 2007 09:28 AM

if it makes you feel better, I was thinking about this year's holiday gifts in January. (but no, I haven't started them yet)

as for repeat gifts, depends on the person. if it's a kid, have they outgrown/lost/destroyed it? my mom would be happy if all I ever knit her were variations of the Knit Picks potato chip scarf (though I'm sure she'd like other things as well). I think it depends on if the person is 'I only need 1 hat/scarf/whatever' or if they like to vary things from day to day.

kid mittens: have the kids give you a hand tracing. make a swatch to figure the gauge, and knit it to fit (well, make it a little bigger, otherwise you guarantee they'll grow out of it the next day). otherwise, Ann Budd's Handy book of Patterns has a pretty good size-range for mittens.

Posted by Christy at July 17, 2007 09:39 AM

Doesn't the Harlot's Knitting Rules book have guidelines for the size of mittens for different age groups? And I know you must have her book! :)

As to giving the same type of gift again - if, say, you gave someone a scarf in 2005, I think you could give another scarf, especially if it's in a distinctly different style. If it was just last year, I'd try to do something different.

Posted by Crafting Jen at July 17, 2007 10:51 AM

Thinking about it now is definitely NOT insane! I've been a part of the Holiday Headstart KAL since the beginning of the year; making one gift a month :)

Posted by Julie at July 17, 2007 12:39 PM

1. If your recipient loves scarves, or lost the one you knit before, I don't see why you couldn't gift them with another.
2. Sorry. No reference for kid mittens.
3. I've only made one dog blanket. I used Caron's Simply Soft in a cream and a tan color, knit with the two strands together. The dog is tan/cream colored, and I thought the two yarns together would help disguise the dog hair! I knit it in garter stitch to provide a little more cushion. I put fringe on just because I thought it looked weird and plain without. If you're interested, email me - I have a photo and more specific notes.
4. Not wild about knitted bookmarks - sorry, no suggestions.
5. If that works for you to manage projects/yarn, etc., sounds great.
6. Not too nutty to plan this early. Every year I tell myself I won't wait until the "last minute" even though I often start in Aug. or Sept.

Posted by Amy at July 17, 2007 12:52 PM

#6 is rhetorical, right? ;)

Posted by Chris at July 17, 2007 01:01 PM

Kat, might have a pattern for mittens for 3-year-olds...and it was a free one...As soon as I find it I'll send it to you. We knit mittens for the kids that are 3 and going into headstart. They each get a hat & mittens.

I have a dog bed that is 27 x 36 - it says it is for dogs up to 75#...but personally, I would make it 44 x 60...Woolease is good. There is a site that talks about making blankies for dogs in the humane society - and they suggest using two strands of the yarn to make it thick enough...I would try it with one strand and see how you feel about it and if it feels thick enough to you.

Love the pattern for the bookmark!!!! I may make some of those...

I think you are being very practical!!! And I think I need to get practical, too...

Posted by Sara at July 17, 2007 03:07 PM