Comments: Reading update and Book Challenges

Kat, welcome to the classics challenge. So happy that you will be joining us. We'll both be reading Gone with the Wind so we can discuss that together.

On your TBR challenge - I read Marjorie Morningstar when I was in 8th grade at the recommendation of my English teacher. It would be interesting to reread it all these years later.

Posted by booklogged at December 6, 2006 02:27 PM

Oh, One Hundred Years of Solitude is one of my favorite books... You are going to be busy!!

I haven't started any of my From the Stacks books yet, either - I have 6 weeks still. Plenty of time... I hope.

Posted by Chris at December 6, 2006 04:11 PM

I'm reading Frankenstein now, a month late for Knit the Classics, but better late than never is my motto.

Intriguing list! And now I found another book challenge.

Posted by Carrie K at December 6, 2006 08:43 PM

Do you listen to Craftlit.com? She's playing Henry James' "Turn of the Screw" right now. That's the only way I will ever read James, so I'm knitting and listening.

I haven't started any of my five challenge books either. Six weeks? No problem (she said perhaps over-confidently...)

Posted by kmkat at December 6, 2006 10:42 PM

Hello, Kat with a K! I just saw your comment on my blog. I LOVE your blog and will be reading. What a neat challenge. I think I might join in, as my current batch of library books is so bad that I've decided to read my Catechism until my next trip!

I have a BA in history and worked as a student worker in our university library's reference department. Upon graduation, I worked as a clerk in the Interlibrary Loan department and later moved over to Cataloging. I loved it! Once my raising children days are over (or at least slower), I want to get my MLS. What kind of library work do you hope to do?

Posted by Jenny at December 7, 2006 06:59 AM

Oh, by the way, Pat of Silver Bush and the sequel Mistress Pat are great books.

Posted by Jenny at December 7, 2006 07:00 AM

I was pretty far into Middlemarch (not bad, but it doesn't read quickly) when it disappeared somewhere between the maternity ward and the house.

Posted by Krista at December 7, 2006 10:18 AM

Read The Red Tent. Loved the Red Tent. It's really good. I loved Wuthering Heights too, even if it went on long after the ending. I haven't started my From The Stacks list either (NaNo and now holiday knitting) but it'll be easy to finish on time. That is, if the new kayboard (piano, not computer) doesn't eat all my time. Since I'm imcompetant at the piano, I think I'm safe.

Posted by Ivy at December 7, 2006 02:08 PM

Wow. Have fun with Vanity Fair. I've been reading that one off and on for... Three years maybe? Thackeray does go on, doesn't he?

But you'll have fun with the Sharon Kay Penman book. I prefer her Welsh trilogy, but that's a good one, too. :)

Posted by KnitPrincess at December 7, 2006 03:35 PM

I'm reading Frankenstein right now for my From the Stacks challenge. Is this the first time reading it for you as well, or is it a reread? Like Knitprincess said, good luck with Vanity Fair. He writes as if he's being paid by the word, which he might have been for all I know. If so, he ended up making a bundle off of that one. :)

Posted by Sara at December 10, 2006 01:08 PM

I'm so glad you are participating in both the Winter Classics Challenge and the TBR Challenge. I look forward to reading your thoughts on your book selections. Good luck to you!

Posted by Literary Feline at December 28, 2006 06:55 PM