Comments: I managed.

Good for you. Once a car has been jump started, driving around for 30 minutes is enough to recharge the battery.

Posted by Kat at August 3, 2006 07:28 PM

*hugs*

Posted by peninah at August 3, 2006 08:01 PM

Oh, that sooo bites. But now you've done it! You know how!

And it's always a good idea to admit ignorance where one has it. This took me until I was 40 to learn, I think. You're ahead!

Posted by Liz (the crazed weasel) at August 3, 2006 08:43 PM

I had this happen a month or so ago - turned out my 1997 had its original battery. Whoops. I have a very compact set of Eddie Bauer jumper cabes that have excellent instructions with them and take up no room at all, if you're looking for recommendations.

Posted by Chris at August 3, 2006 08:50 PM

Ack, you shoulda called me!

Your oil light is oil pressure-- if the car's electrical system is on, but the engine isn't running, the lights will come on. That used to happen to me all the time, it turns out the alternator brushes were worn down and the battery didn't charge / didn't stay charged long enough.

Posted by ali at August 3, 2006 09:53 PM

Yeah go you ! DO keep that boys to call list in your purse though, right along side your knitting ;) And get one of those roadside assistance kits with cables and flares and a flashlight and first aid kit and stuff. Be prepared. I don't have one of those. But i keep mixed nuts in the car as an emergency protein stash. . .

Posted by aisling at August 4, 2006 12:41 AM

Oh, Kat. Glad things turned out well. Has it started again?

Posted by Erica at August 4, 2006 01:10 AM

One time, I needed a jump, and I asked a boy to help me, and he didn't know how to do it, but I did. Empowering!

And yes, you should have cables.

Posted by AmyK at August 4, 2006 01:18 AM

Well done you on not panicking and getting it sorted out.

Posted by mrspao at August 4, 2006 03:24 AM

Good resourcefulness, Kate!

There should be a punch-out label on the battery that indicates when it was installed. They only last four or five years, so you might want to get a new one before winter comes, which can't be too soon for me.

As a matter of fact, we can look at it next weekend and I'll bring my handy-dandy battery terminal cleaner too.

Dad

Posted by Dad at August 4, 2006 10:24 AM

That happens to me a lot. Sometimes it's the connector. You should let your mechanic look at it just in case.

Posted by Ivy at August 4, 2006 11:21 AM

It sounds like your car is exacting revenge for something. I would definitely recommend carrying jumper cables.

Posted by Defulct at August 4, 2006 01:37 PM