Comments: Fluffernutter controversy!

That IS disturbing. I always had the impression that there were various laws governing school lunches -- that they had to be nutritionally balanced, etc. Surely marshmallow fluff violates that, anyway? Why not peanut butter and JELLY sandwiches, at the very least?

Posted by Tracy at June 23, 2006 08:20 AM

At my son's school, there is the traditional monthly menu and each item is offered once a month. Each item has all the food groups included. It is $2 for my son. No marshmellow fluff in site. I can't believe that allow that!

Posted by Mindy at June 23, 2006 11:50 AM

Because of food allergies and the like it makes sense to let kids decide between two, nutritionally balanced choices. Say, you can have peanut butter or tuna fish. A kid with a nut allergy can still have lunch. A kid with a fish allergy can still have lunch. Or say there are oranges, apples, and pears and the kid can have one fruit of choice.

Marshmellow fluff every day is crazy. Maybe once in a rare while, say on the last day of school every year as a treat. Not every day or even every week.

Do we really need a state sandwitch?

Posted by Ivy at June 23, 2006 12:36 PM

I'm surprised that peanut butter is on the school menu, it's been banned entirely from at least one school in my area - even if you bring it from home.

Marshmallow fluff? I suppose honey is better, but barely. Geez, the things kids eat.

A state sandwich! Oh no. I can see my day at work is now going to be wasted on nominating sandwiches for all the states.

Posted by Carrie K at June 23, 2006 02:40 PM

I wonder why there are so many peanut allergies now when there weren't back in the long ago when we were kids? This came up in conversation with a friend recently, and we were stymied...

Posted by Chris at June 23, 2006 09:52 PM

My mother fed us Fluffernutter sandwiches every day when we were growing up, and look how I turned out-- fat, diabetic, and unable to leave New England for fear of not being able to find genuine Fluff for me to ruin my children's lives with.

Posted by Ali at June 24, 2006 12:23 AM

I had a friend in 4th grade who ate PB&J for lunch every single day, but she brought it from home. Clearly, her parents would have had no right to complain about anything the school was or was not serving. Crazy.

Posted by Sneaksleep at June 24, 2006 10:37 AM

I'm old enough to remember the Reagan administration's "catsup as a vegetable" maneuver re: the school lunch program. This is along those lines. Gee, I wonder if the makers of Flutternutter are contributors to anyone's campaign. (*walks away shaking head and muttering*)

Posted by kmkat at June 24, 2006 06:14 PM

Our kids have five choices every day for lunch (six if you count bringing a lunch)...four healthy ones, and one that's pure junk: main choice, pizza, yogurt w/ crackers, salad, or PBJ. The every day pizza option was added this year. Otherwise, it's served once a week as main choice. Other than the pizza issue, our lunches are pretty well balanced. The kids can purchase snacks for extra, and there's talk of limiting that to one per child. We also offer breakfast every day (cereal, toast, occasionally pancakes). Yes, the menus go home every month, and full price lunch is $1.25. Most of our students are on free/reduced lunch, though. This is often the only "good" meal they will get all day.

Posted by Courtney at June 24, 2006 06:57 PM