Comments: Dear readers: Need advice.

I think they are flirtatious, and I've been guilty of it many times. So I guess it depends on the person and the sort of message one would hypothetically want to send.

Posted by Lauren at November 7, 2005 05:16 PM

go for it. always go for it so you dont wonder what might have happened if you did. maybe creepy but in a cool kinda way ? LOL

Posted by aisling at November 7, 2005 05:17 PM

Could you handle it if he thought it flirtatious? I say go for it.

Posted by Kat at November 7, 2005 05:26 PM

Hmm. I guess it really depends.

Worst case, I think, you could be perceived as overly generous towards people you hardly know. Which isn't really a bad thing. I doubt they'll perceive you as a stalker of any sort - they'll probably just wonder what they did to deserve this incredible handmade gift.

There are people who would be uncomfortable being placed in that position. Possibly because they don't feel they deserve such a gift given the casual level of your acquaintance - possibly because they will feel obligated in kind.

Perhaps you can try to present it in as casual and off-hand a manner as possible. "When you mentioned what you like in a scarf, I happened to have the right yarn around, and I'm such a rabid knitter it was no big deal to make one for you."

Posted by Folkcat at November 7, 2005 08:16 PM

oh yeah i just realized you said 'hypothetical' huh. still. ms hypothetical knitter, should knit. knit till her hands fall off.

Posted by aisling at November 8, 2005 09:36 PM

Heh, well, since I cheered you on as you picked out the yarn yesterday, I don't think I was much help, Kat. While, I'm at it, let me post that he's not a psycho. That way, if it turns out that he is, bloggers everywhere will know to blame me for encouraging you.

Posted by erica at November 9, 2005 11:47 AM

The thing is, if you are making something that someone will wear on their body, it is an intimate act. It doesn't have to be a suggestive act, but between unmarried persons with compatiple sexual prefences, it has an undertone....

Do you have any thought that he might be nice to date? If so - ask him for coffee rather than knitting with hidden subtext.

If you really think there's nothing there, you just thought he might like a scarf - go ahead and make a nice gesture to a stranger.

Posted by juno at November 16, 2005 09:17 AM