Comments: Gift Guides 2009: Time Magazine

What an AWESOME list! And also how TOTALLY weird to be on this side of the fence!

St. Nicholas brought all 3 kids practice chopsticks one year. Yep. They loved them.

I cannot think of a single person on my list who would want the Paris Review thingy, but pretty much everyone - including moi - would loooove the Dolly set. Dolly!

Don't dismiss Up from the oddly misplaced ad campaign - it's a different movie then you think it is. The first 20 minutes made me cry harder than almost anything I've ever seen - heartbreaking! It's not as much about the balloon house and much more about the endurance of love.

Great, great work here. Good job!

Posted by Beck at November 23, 2009 07:30 AM

Just so you know... I have purchased some pieces of that beaded jewelry from Uganda here at the Uni. (And yes, I admit, I am going to buy more for myself online!)

They are actually very nice in person, not neon or childish, though they are a little clunky in size. (Well, ok, some are neonish, but there are also quite a few that are very neutral and basic) and the price is misleading. A bracelet is only $5 and a necklace $10.

Also? I found UP traumatic for a kids movie. Like it, but would NEVER want to own it.

Posted by cassie at November 23, 2009 08:36 AM

I felt the same way about UP until I saw it. Loved, loved, loved it. It's much less about the kid than it looks like from the previews.

And I totally got two gift ideas from the list, so thanks!

Posted by kate at November 23, 2009 01:09 PM

Our family enjoyed UP a lot. A lot of it goes over the little kids heads, honestly. And I mentioned this on GTalk but you weren't there and I don't know if you ever saw it, but we have those kids Chopsticks. The kids wanted to use chopsticks when we got chinese food SO bad but they couldn't handle real chopsticks, those are great !

Posted by aisling at November 23, 2009 08:45 PM

I never had this much fun reading a Christmas gift list before!

Posted by Dad at November 24, 2009 11:53 AM

Cars is the only movie you've seen w/Paul Newman? Say it ain't so! Cool Hand Luke, The Sting, The Hustler, Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid........and my favorite, What a Way to Go but that's more of a Shirley MacClaine movie.

Posted by Carrie K at November 24, 2009 04:57 PM