Comments: Facebook-Enforced Friendship

I fear places like Facebook are going to devalue the term "friend." Certainly they and I have different definitions of the concept.

Posted by sprite at November 6, 2009 09:17 AM

Haha! I've noticed this too, but I haven't contacted/been contacted by anyone in those notices. They don't really bother me. They're off to the side, out of the way.

I'm an avid facebooker. I think it's funny that you say "vaguely keep in touch" because I just created a new list for the NEW new Facebook so I only get updates from the people I choose.

Yeah, it's nice to be able to contact these long (sometimes purposefully) lost "friends" of ours. You never know when they're going to come in handy. Potential buyers of the book you're writing for NaNoWriMo for instance.

Posted by Joey at November 6, 2009 10:51 AM

I put my facebook "friends" in air quotes, mostly. It IS fabulous for allowing me to keep in nearly constant touch with a few real friends -- some far away, one in my own town! -- but I have, what, 300 "friends" on there? Most are from high school, probably half or a third of that number, and most of the rest are people I've met in various online groups. It's kind of fun to know what Amber from the KS list is thinking about the customers in her store, and it's definitely wonderful to be able to see pictures of the kids from my due-date moms' group, since the email list pretty much died out when people started having blogs. So I don't knock Facebook too hard, and I use it a lot, but it is a bit of a time-suck, and I HATE HATE HATE the way it tells me whom to talk to. (Also, I loathe the Amway-style applications -- Come be my Farmville friend so I can have a bigger farm! Come fight in my Mafia war! ugh. I laughed, too, when it told me that you and I hadn't talked lately. Shows whawt IT knows.)

Posted by Rachel at November 6, 2009 11:33 AM

I love that even though FB prompted the renewed contact you didn't communicate via FB.

Posted by Michelle at November 6, 2009 12:04 PM

I find Facebook really hard to get around in and all those games!! It's like being dropped in on an elementary school. (I'm sure if I ever actually PLAYED any of them, I'd be hooked, so that's not as judgy as it sounds).

Posted by Carrie K at November 6, 2009 05:25 PM

I've only been active on FB for three months, and I have 177 friends, most of whom I have never met IRL nor have I spoken with them. They are "friends" only because we play the same games online.

Really, the only reason I get on FB is to play FarmVille and other games. They're fun. But I can do without all the cyber-scoldings about the friends and games I'm "neglecting". Such as MyKitten™, who has probably died of starvation by now.

Posted by Jeanne B. at November 6, 2009 10:57 PM