Comments: Unread Books

I'd bump A Year in Provence right up to the top of your list. It's written in monthly chapters and is laugh-out-loud funny.

Other than that, Persuasion is quite good -- an under-appreciated Jane Austen book, if you ask me.

A Midwife's Tale was interesting, but not compelling when I read it for a class back in grad school. And I was, frankly, underwhelmed by Eat, Pray, Love.

Posted by sprite at July 8, 2009 11:50 AM

*Last of the Mohicans* is one of those books that I keep around and try again every few years, figuring that eventually I'll get through it. The problem is that I saw the movie first, and the movie is beautiful and engaging and a whole lot sexier and more lush than the novel, so I get impatient. Where are my copulatory gazes? Where are the beautiful soundtrack and the breathtaking (Appalachian, ahem) scenery? :) Then I generally want to skip directly to Sara Donati's books after I sit down and watch the movie. Poor Cooper. Like Elton John: born to create stuff that will be much better done by the people who re-do it.

I don't remember why but I remember not liking (or finishing) Julie and Julia.

Wow, you buy a lot of nonfiction. Some of that sounds really interesting!

Posted by Rachel at July 8, 2009 01:08 PM

Persuasion is good and so is Barbara Tuchman's A Distant Mirror.

So are a lot of your books. What's your address, again? No reason for asking........

I just picked up "A Problem from Hell:" America and the Age of Genocide by Samantha Power from the library! So I think you should read that first because I have to return it in 3 weeks. Maybe. ;)

Posted by Carrie K at July 8, 2009 02:35 PM

I've read 6 of these and agree that Persuasion is really very good--it has a somewhat slower start, I think, than some of Austen's other books, but I like it. I loved McCullough's John Adams biography and plan to reread it one of these days because I liked it so much. The Julie/Julia book frankly annoyed me (but I'm in the minority there). Girls Like Us was pretty entertaining and I learned a lot about those three that I hadn't known, but the Nancy Drew book was disappointing. The Ben Franklin bio was good, and the Feminine Mystique? I know it's a classic, I know it's revolutionary and had brilliant, iconic ideas, but I thought the writing was dreadful and frankly gave up halfway through.

That said, my own unread books? 28 out of 3,053 books--though, since I'm in the process of winnowing that collection down to somewhere around (I hope 1500 books), the long-term unreads are going into the bye-bye pile!

Posted by --Deb at July 8, 2009 05:47 PM

I can only echo other comments: I loved Persuasion and a Year in provende (though I listened to that one as audiobook), but hated Julie/Julia too much to finish the book. Julie was too sneering for my to find her sympathetic.

I have not read the specific book you list, but I generally find Alison Weir to be fair, well-researched and entertaining.

Posted by Veronica Mitchell at July 8, 2009 08:59 PM

Zoiks! That is quite a pile. Enjoy!

Posted by Amy Reads Good Books at July 9, 2009 08:28 AM

What a terrific list -- the only one of these books I've read is Persuasion by Jane Austen.

Posted by Steph at July 15, 2009 11:21 PM

Well, I hate to confuse you but I really liked Julie and Julia and Eat, Pray, Love (I liked Julie and Julia better though). I also want to read A Midwife's Tale--that one's been on my shelf awhile too.

Posted by Caitlin at July 16, 2009 10:24 AM