Comments: Random Wednesday!

Early Happy Birthday to you!

Posted by Marlyn at July 31, 2008 01:02 AM

HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY KAT! :)

[close your eyes and visualize falling confetti and balloons; since my budget doesn't extend to the real thing, we must use our imaginations.]

Also, St. John Rivers is absolutely despicable. On re-reads, I make it a fun game to try to figure out how much we're *meant* to hate him. Did CB want us merely to see him as clueless and stubborn but well-meaning (after all, maybe in the nineteenth century men were *expected* to be that pushy?), or is he supposed to skeeve us out as much as he does? It's like watching the old *Sabrina* and trying to decide when Linus fell for her...

Posted by Rachel at July 31, 2008 01:11 AM

happy birthday, kat with a k!
hope you have a very happy day.

xoxoxo mimi

Posted by mimi of sexagenarian and the city at July 31, 2008 08:27 AM

again, happy birthday!

LIRR sux. There isn't a good way to go around the island by it which is just totally insane in my book. Suffolk County is weaker on the buses part of public transport than Nassau. And if you were going further out (say to East Quogue where I grew up, it'd be even harder)

Basically it's often easier to go port jeff, back into jamaica and then back out. INsane. but the only way. Of course that means you gotta do the tickets totally right and i've not done that. LIRR is for commuting in and out of the city.

Take cab to Port Jeff station (or find out how far it is from the ferry, it's been well over 10 years since I last took the port jeff ferry and I have no idea, a quick glance at a map idicates schlep) take it and a ticket to hicksville (via the port jeff branch). at hicksville take a train going to oakdale (on the montalk branch). you MAY have to also change at babylon since that would be a local train.

Posted by penny at July 31, 2008 06:57 PM

oh and watch peak/nonpeak. it depends on what time the train arrives or leaves penn station.

Posted by penny at July 31, 2008 06:58 PM

Being polite is horribly old fashioned? Why on earth...? I'd ask her if she was proud of herself and if she answered in the affirmative I'd ask why. Geez. We really do deserve to go down in flames.

Happy Belated Birthday!