Comments: Reading slump

I am the same way (not reading much, not bothering to post reviews) but I did just read that de los Santos sequel you told me was coming. LOVED. IT. It took a few chapters to get into it, maybe because at first I was afraid it was going to be one of those "suburbia eats your soul"-themed novels. But it wasn't.

Posted by Rachel at June 3, 2008 06:09 PM

Oh, and also, have you ever read any Annie Dillard? I'm finally just now reading Pilgrim at Tinker Creek, and while I can only manage it in smallish doses (it's a little bit rich), it's lovely.

Posted by Rachel at June 3, 2008 06:11 PM

Have you read Rick Riordan's Percy Jackson books?

Go back to things you loved as a kid/teen. I find that can help me regain my lost joie de lire.

Posted by sprite at June 3, 2008 07:25 PM

May I direct you to my reading lists? Maybe something will strike a chord...

Posted by --Deb at June 3, 2008 09:28 PM

Sometimes when I'm "over" reading, I like to read a cheesy historical romances or chick lit (so that I can get that refreshing "I finished!" cheap thrill after a just a couple of days), or something completely different from what I have been (ie, nonfiction when I'm overdosing on novels). Books that I've gotten really really excited about lately are "Don't Think of an Elephant" and "Gods Behaving Badly."

Posted by Eliz at June 3, 2008 10:30 PM

I don't feel like me when I'm not reading much either, but it's happened. The only way I've ever gotten out of it is to only read what interests me, if that means picking up and discarding a hundred books before I hit on The One, so be it.

Otherwise I "chore" myself into continuing my reading slump by reading under duress. (Granted, self inflicted but still).

I know! Obama's in. Wonder if Hilary is going to armtwist him into making her VP?

Posted by Carrie K at June 3, 2008 10:45 PM

Actually, I have read a few books because you have mentioned them :) but I see that your reading tastes are **so** different than mine. I read simply to be entertained - I don't spend a lot of time analyzing plots or characters.... However, I will suggest some of my favorite authors, just in case you'd like some of them:
crime drama/mystery: Patricia Cornwell, John Sandford ("Prey" novels), Sue Grafton, James Patterson
not sure how to categorize it: Janet Evanovich "Stephanie Plum" novels - every one of them has made me laugh out loud at least once. Each book has a short intro/reminder, but I'd still recommend reading them in order.
Romance novels: Judith McNaught, Jude Deveraux.
Political drama/action/adventure: Vince Flynn (I'd suggest reading them in order) Kyle Mills is also good.

Would love to know if you read any of these and find them interesting! :)

Posted by Amy at June 3, 2008 11:17 PM

I'm still on my sci-fi/fantasy kick and am just going through recommendations on ravelry (here be dragons) of new-to-me authors. i've had some hits some misses, but it's a fun challenge.

Posted by penny at June 4, 2008 08:17 AM